How Locals Eat Local.
We envision an affordable and accessible reality where anyone can eat locally year-round.
Is it possible to eat locally year-round?
Eating locally every month of the year in the Pacific Northwest is not without its challenges. Winter into early spring presents interesting hurdles (and rewards!) for those committed to eating locally.
Locivore offers guides for sourcing and eating locally 95% of the time, and suggestions for how break the rules responsibly for the other 5%. We provide a framework for a diet based on seasonally available ingredients that is adaptable to various dietary needs and desires. We invite you to explore how a local diet fosters interdependence and intentional engagement with your community.
How do we measure the health of communities & families?
It starts with soil.
Healthy soil means healthy people and communities! Organic, ecological, and regenerative farming and gardening practices produce more nutrient dense foods and can dramatically improve the health of our bodies and minds. Exposure to the microbiome of a healthy soil offers benefits to mental health that rival antidepressants.
We’re passionate about supporting local farmers and producers who share our commitment to holistic land management and using agriculture as a powerful method for healing.
Is a local and organic diet really accessible and affordable?
We believe it can be!
When we look at the cost of food in the context of overall health and well-being, eating local and organic food actually saves money. A recent study showed that $1000 spent on an organic food diet added up to $7000 savings in health care expenses. Eating locally is about equity and positive economic impact for the community.
What is a (re)generative food system?
A system that works for the benefit and health of all life.
creates healthy environments, communities & people
promotes a continual net-positive impact for all stakeholders
considers the whole picture
nurtures strong local economies and communities
Locivore is more than a diet. Locivore is…
a lifestyle focused around engagement with our local community of farmers, small businesses, and producers.
a diet centered around making healthy choices at each meal based on seasonal and personal rhythms.
committed to empowering individuals with knowledge and skills to revitalize their own health and the health of their families and communities.
Our mission is to bolster the health of local communities through (re)generative food systems. Our work is guided by two core principles - the health of all life and (re)generative consumption. Our six values - equity, sistering, intentional engagement, systems thinking, ecological awareness & interdependence - support these core principles.
How do we empower individuals?
We start with the belief that fun is healthy and vice versa!
We’ve built a local diet that makes shopping and cooking experience easy, fun, and rewarding. We share information and support our community’s understanding of how to eat local with educational videos, skill-building, and delicious recipes. This is our commitment to sistering in practice - we come alongside individuals and families to support their effort to spend time in the kitchen and around the table together.
Locivore is for all ages - we believe kids not only belong in the kitchen, they thrive in this educational & creative environment! Whether becoming familiar with measuring cups and spoons from an early age, learning to sort, using basic math, expanding their taste buds, or engaging in scientific experiments, there’s no school like the kitchen.
What is (re)generative consumption?
It’s modeled on nature’s beneficial systems.
Consumption in our culture has generally become pretty mindless and harmful to ourselves and our planet. Yet consumption itself, beyond people as consumers, happens as part of beneficial life cycles in nature. Think microbes as consumers - they consume each other, sunlight, nitrogen and sulfur. Microbes consume nutrients that humans can’t break down, like cellulose.
(Re)generative consumption is our commitment to an ecological awareness & consciousness in which new products feed back to their sources in a cycle of regeneration.